We got a call from the doctor today. She is requesting we get a level 2 ultrasound to take a closer look. She said they noticed a 'choroid plexus marker' on the brain. She said 9 out of 10 times, this is nothing at all. However, when they see anything that could be a marker, they want to check it out further. In a small percentages of cases it indicates Down's.
I had a screening test done a few weeks ago which screens for Down's as well as brain and spinal problems. That screening is apparently very sensitive and sometimes comes back with positive results when everything is actually fine. My test came back negative. I'm also 30 years old - so not in the high risk arena of 35+ for Down's yet. (This is me trying to stay positive - I'm doing good!)
I of course went online in search of other testimonials to this 'marker'. It seems there are a lot of other people who have had the same 'scare', but ended up with uneventful outcomes. I have read account after account of people who have been referred on for a level 2 ultrasound for the same reason. All found that this issue resolved itself before the baby was even born and had no long-term effects. One MD even wrote a book entitled: Obstetrical Sonography: The Best Way to Terrify a Pregnant Woman... which made me laugh. So true!
We have to go down to the hospital for the level 2 ultrasound. They should be contacting me by tomorrow to set up the date for the ultrasound. This ultrasound will show much greater detail. Friends have told me that they could see what the baby actually looked like and see detail down to the blood flowing through the veins. Could be very interesting...
So, keep us in your thoughts and prayers that we are part of the 9 out of 10 people who make the second trip to the ultrasound room & get uneventful news. I'm focusing on NOT worring about this (as much as possible), as added stress is not helpful in any event.

2 comments:
I'll be thinking about and praying for you and the baby. There are a million things that can "Terrify a pregnant woman" as the book title says, but usually it's nothing to worry about, as you said. We hope all is well. Keep us posted.
All our love.
You are in our thoughts and prayers. D & A and baby j.
Post a Comment